What is John 3:16?
John 3:16 is a reference to a specific verse in the Bible. It is found in the New Testament in the 16th verse of the third chapter of the book of John. This is what it says:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (KJV)
Here we have summarized in one verse the mission and purpose of Jesus Christ.
God loves the people of the world. That's us. He loves us so much that he was willing to allow his Son, Jesus Christ, to suffer and die and take punishment that rightfully should be ours because of our sin and rebellion against God.
And, anyone, ("whosoever") who simply believes on Him will not have to die spiritually because Christ gave himself on the cross in our place. Instead, we can have eternal life because of what He did.
Because of God's love. Because of Jesus' sacrifice, anyone can have eternal life by believing in him.
That is what John 3:16 means.
Four Steps To Salvation
- Realize that you are a sinner:
Romans 3:23 says, "All have sinned"
- Realize sin's penalty:
Romans 6:23a says, "The wages of sin is death"
- Realize GOD'S provision:
Romans 6:23b says, "The gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ."
- Accept GOD'S free gift:
Romans 10:9 says, "That if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."
»Read more of God's Salvation Plan Here.
If you have a question which you would like to see answered on this page, we would like to hear from you. We will do our best that each question will be answered here.
Bible Study Guides that are relevant, engaging and life-changing — making your life better now, and giving you a real, solid hope for your future. Use these study guides to improve your understanding of the Bible and strengthen your faith. Consider the following options, but remember to choose one. Regular reading in God's Word is not optional. It's a necessity!
Request any of our free Study Guides here.
- 1. God’s Simple Plan of Salvation – Searching for Answers – 3 week guide here.
- 2. New Christian Study Guide – New To Christianity – 3 week study guide here.
- 3. Steps to Spiritual Maturity Guide – Nurturing Resources – 3 week guide here.
- 4. The Gospel of John – Knowing God Better – Personal book study - 3 weeks here.
- 5. Inspirational Daily Devotionals – Encouraging Spiritual Reflections – daily here.
- 6. Monthly Newsletter – Christ Centered Information – once a month here.
- 7. Personal Evangelism Training – Share the Gospel – fun creative way here.
- 8. Bible Studies – Instructive Resources – connecting you nearer to God here.
- 9. Questions & Answers – Exploring Spiritual Questions – (Q & A) here.
- 10. Life’s Questions – Interconnecting with today’s Issues here.
Finding God - What does it take to know God? You can personally begin a relationship with God, right now.
Knowing God Personally Here Next Steps For New Christians Here Next Steps For Christians Here